Monday, November 29, 2010

Why is religion so important to people?

Why is religion so important to people? There are all kinds of  people in the world and I think religion is one of the biggest things that sets us apart.  I want to get some to thinking about how religion impacts their lives.Does it guarantee a better job or maybe a better home?  What makes some believe what they do and why? See I don't believe there is a god but I grew up in a church with people who did . I have seen how it can change a person .I have seen the strain religion can cause in a marriage and how others say religion is what saves theirs.What makes a person believe so much in something they can't see, feel, or even hear?All a person has is a story in a book that was written so long ago that tells of one man's life and how he supposedly died for our sins.I know it says that Jesus died for us so we could be saved but I just can't wrap my mind around one person having so much power that it would make that big of a difference in where we go when we die.I have no proof that there was a man named Jesus and there is no proof that there is a god.How can I believe in something that is not real and can't be proven real?Why have we blindly allowed ourselves to be led into a situation that impacts the world and everything in it?We have taken a story and built it into this larger than life tale that says if you don't behave a certain way then you will be punished,maimed,beaten, or killed.Why is this the lesson society wants to teach its children and what kind of lesson is it when all you do is fear every action and consequence?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tonya!
    I couldn't help but comment to this. You asked a bunch of questions, so I will do my best to answer some of them to me :) The answers apply to my personal experiences, and how it has impacted my life.
    I am LDS. Religion has always been a big part of my life. I have not always lived a righteous life. I have been on both ends of the deal. I have had religion, and I have also gone through fazes that I have pushed it aside.
    I can tell you from my personal experience that it has affected mine and my family's lives beyond words. I read where you said that you can't feel it. I personally have felt it strongly. I had have a desire to feel it. It will not be where it is not wanted.
    I can personally atest that I know that there is a God and a Savior Jesus Christ who attoned for my sins becasue I feel it when I seek to gain the answers. I know the difference in my life when I am living more diligently to the Gopsels teachings. If you want to know for a surety, read the Book of Mormon and the Bible with an open mind, pray and ask if it is true, and you will know for a surety.
    Just some feedback I thought I'd throw in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thought. Personally whether a person has religion or not, shouldn't come between how someone treats someone else. I have a sister who has supposedly questioned whether there is a God or not. I love her, and treat her the same as my other sisters. It shouldn't matter people's skin color, religion, background, beliefs etc. We should all respect one another for who each other is.

    ReplyDelete